With this post, I’ll begin a series on various rules of men that have been created by this church. Some may have changed here and there over time, and some may not have been enforced equally across all congregations. But every one of these has been verified by former members.
Keep in mind that the point here is not to argue the validity of the reasoning behind any of these rules, but to argue that the church composed of fallible humans should not be making rules like these at all.
“They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.” Mt 15:19 (NIV)
“But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.” Mt 15:19 (KJV)
- Dresses for women required on Sunday. (Dress your best for God.)
- Ties for men required on Sunday.
- Men cannot preach or serve the Lord’s table without a suit coat on.
- Preachers cannot wear blue jeans or shorts, even during the week. (This was years ago, not sure if this is still the case.)
- Nylons required for women on Sunday. (Not sure about other times a
woman wears a dress, but for sure on Sunday. This was discussed at a May
Meeting a couple years ago.)
- Tennis shoes not allowed at class or personal work.
- Bare toes not allowed on personal work or class. (Must either wear
socks or nylons if wearing open toed shoes or sandals, and this applies
when wearing pants or dresses.)
- Blue jeans not allowed at class. Black jeans are okay. Blue jean skirts are okay. Really? Come on, people.
- Shorts must be below knees even for children. (This might have changed a little bit but not sure.)
- No knickers at Bible class for women.
- Shirts with collars required at Bible class for men.
- No tank tops.
- No thong underwear.
- No push-up bras.
- Must have t-shirt under dress shirt.
- Tattoos are forbidden.
- Ankle bracelets were not allowed (not sure if this has changed, someone please verify).
- Women can have pierced ears, but nothing else can be pierced.
- Men’s ears cannot be pierced.
h/t to CB and anonymous commenters for many of these